AAA Drafting Blog

A SolidWorks designer talks about stuff related to CAD and mechanical design

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Dear Folks;

Does anyone out there have experiences with the failure of Mass Airflow Sensors in their Nissan cars. My Sentra's MAF sensor is giving me problems for the second time in three years. These sensors cost almost $2000 to purchase before installation. To look at them they are certainly not worth the money. The Mass Airflow Sensor looks like a short piece of 3" diamter plastic pipe with an airflow measuring device and some electronics built into the housing. Mechanics have told me these parts are prone to failure, usually just after the 60000 km warranty runs out.

I tried taking Nissan to court when the first one failed, but was unsuccessful, because I just did not have the resources to prove this part was an inferior design. I would love to find out if there are any less expensive aftermarket solutions for this part. I know that some "tuner" websites talk about these components but I have not noticed many people talking about how to fix this problem in their regular cars.

It's a shame because apart from this real annoyance, Nissan cars are really very well made and reliable. You would think they would at least want to try and solve this problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home